Kiss, kiss

Kiss, kiss

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

20 Week Ultrasound, Anniversary, 19 Weeks Along, Sarah's Baby's Gender

20 Week Ultrasound

We got to have our "20 week ultrasound," but really I was 18 weeks and 5 Days along. It went really well! It was still at the St. Mark's Hospital, but it was through a different company than Dr. Johnson's office. We were able to see so many details of his body this time! The ultrasound tech and perinatologist measured his bones and organs and checked for any abnormalities; I was very nervous for that aspect of it. John kept reassuring me that everything would be okay. But then On our way home, he admitted to me that he got nervous when we sat down and the ultrasound had started. But he didn't let it show, of course. We saw almost every part of his body, cause he was so so active! Both the tech and perinatologist mentioned he was super active. That's how he's been at every ultrasound, thus far. Later that day, when I sent a group email out to family, Alexis responded saying that when Percy had her 20 week ultrasound, the doctor called Percy the "silent Ninja" cause she was so active in the womb! And Lynda has told me that Alexis was a very active baby. Our ultrasound tech said that she actually prefers the baby be active because otherwise, if the baby is sleeping, he or she will simply stay in one position, never move, and so the tech or perinatologist can't see all of the body parts. I don't think that our baby ever sleeps! At the beginning of the scan, he kept showing his back to us. The tech needed to scan his face (at least his profile!) and he was not giving that to us! Later, when the perinatologist came in, he did an excellent job and was able to find his face, measure it, and snap some still shots. His name was Dr. Ball and he had a bright flowery shirt and tie, and he was very nice and cheerful. It helped make things a little less stressful for us. John stayed very entertained by his high level of activity. He and I just STARED at the screen and admired his every move. We could have done it for hours, honestly. He made John laughed a lot! I loved watching John watch him. We could see all of his individual bones in his spine and arms, feet, hands and legs! We saw the different portions of his brain and the ventricles in his heart. The vessels in the umbilical cord (the veins lit up as blue and the arteries lit up red, of course). We saw my cervix, the placenta (by the way, when the perinatologist walked in, he had already looked at some still shots the ultrasound tech had taken and the first thing he said was "Wow, you have a great cervix! That's something to brag about!" I loved hearing that. Anything to help keep the baby in the womb, safe and growing is great to me!) The perinatologist was able to get a picture of his face and profile and took some 3D pics that John and I didn't love. We like the regular ultrasound pictures better. I explained to John that the 3D pics taken later in a pregnancy look better, but I don't think he was convinced. I love his little profile picture with his little nose. He was perfect! The appointment was a success! The tech and perinatologist found no inconsistencies or abnormalities. Our baby is perfect just as I predicted! Ha! Afterwards John said "See, I told you everything would be all right!" I loved the whole visit (besides the part where the tech said she couldn't see the baby's face so I had to do a transvaginal ultrasound. I HATE those). The perinatalogist did examine my cervix and its distance from the placenta. He said that the placenta is still closer to the cervix than they like to see, but that it's not close enough for him to be super worried. Phew! What a relief! All good news! During the ultrasound and after, I was in complete and utter amazement. I still can't believe that this little one inside of me is receiving all his necessary body parts with me doing none of the creating. It's truly a miracle. God is creating him and it's a beautiful thing. I can't wait for this little soul to join our family! 11/20/17

Cute little profile with his cute little nose!


John said he was channeling his inner "Dr. Evil" in this ultrasound picture

We were trying to decide who he looked more like- John or me. The analysis and discussion were fruitless. There's absolutely no way of telling, at this point. I want him to look like John and John wants him to look like me. Ha! Not sure why, though. If he hasn't noticed yet- I'm a girl.

Maybe he's chewing his "nails" here like his daddy always does...Hmmm...


This looks really realistic, with the red coloring

We're hoping he looks less "globular" when he's outside of the womb

He seems to enjoy this position

Looks like his thumb is actually in his mouth, in this picture. There were several times during the ultrasound that we saw him opening and closing his mouth. So cute!

Here he is just posing for the picture. Hard to tell where his face ends and his hand begins!

Up close shot of his face. Put that hand down, little boy! We want to see your entire face!

I still can't believe this cute little guy is living inside of me! It's such a miracle!

Anniversary

We went out to eat at Cheesecake Factory at Fashion Place Mall (again) to celebrate our 3rd anniversary! We really miss all the restaurant options we had in Salt Lake. We can't believe it's been 3 years! Again, the weather wasn't nearly as good as it was on our actual wedding day. But pretty good, given the fact that it's late November. I think we may have another mild winter this year! When I think back to our wedding day, the main thought that comes to mind is how naïve I was back then, because I really had no idea just how much growing, together, John and I actually had ahead of us. It's definitely been worth it though. My married life versus my single life is just so much more meaningful and emotionally fulfilling. It does take daily effort, though. When I'm not with John I'm reminded of how boring my life was when I was single. John makes everything better. I'm glad we found each other at just the right time in each other's lives. 11/21/17

19 Weeks

I can't believe we've made it this far! We're almost half way done! This last week went by fast! My belly has grown a lot in the last couple of weeks. I love that cause it means the baby is growing and that my uterus is making MORE room for the baby so he's more comfy! I keep telling John that I'm worried the baby feels crunched in there or even worse- bored. John's response is always- "No way! He's loving it! It's like a hot tub in there!" Ha! What a "John" thing to say! It's definitely obvious that I'm pregnant now. There's no hiding it.  I've been having some nausea, mostly in the evenings that will suddenly appear and come on strong.. So, I've been taking either the Ondansetron or Unisom/Vitamin B6 combo. My headaches were bad for a while there, but now that I've got my correct prescription and meds so it's feeling better. I occasionally think I can feel the baby's movements but it's not like it used to be. Sad. I'm really looking forward to the day that John will be able to feel him move! I'm having to urinate fairly often. Sometimes, I'll go to the bathroom and go lay down on the bed, and then have to get up 5 minutes later to urinate again! I am having to get up at least a couple times in the night to use the restroom. It's a sign though, that I'm drinking more, which is very good. That's been one of the hardest things for me to do! Helps (or doesn't help, depending on how you look at it) that I'm constantly paranoid that I'm depriving my baby of fluids if I don't have a drink in my hands at all times!... At half a pound and 6 inches long, our baby is about the size of a tomato. This week he gets a thin coating of vernix kesiosa, a white cheesy-like substance made of lanugo, that downy white hair, made of his glands and dead skin cells. This mixture protects our baby from the 24 hour per day bath- the amniotic fluid, and lubricates the birth canal. Without it he would look positively pruney at birth and would have a much tougher time "getting out the door." His legs have gone through a growth spurt and are finally in proportion to his arms. These longer legs, as well as his cartilage that has turned into bone will make his kicks more powerful. In addition to this, his neurons are better formed and sending stronger signals to his body. This makes for additional strength in his legs. In the coming weeks I will experience plenty of flutters, kicks, jabs, twitches, stretches, and punches 11/22/17

Sarah's Baby's Gender

Sarah texted me and said that they found out that she is pregnant with a girl! Yay! So excited for them! 2 boys, 2 girls. Perfect! 11/22/17

No comments:

Post a Comment