The other day, John and I came across a Youtube video on Facebook of a clip from an episode of America's got Talent (with Howie Mandel, Howard Stern and Heidi Klum). It featured a 23 year old man who had been doing stand up comedy for 4 years. He started comedic routines because he had a sport's injury; while playing competitive softball, he was hit in the neck with a softball and damaged some nerves and his vocal cords. He also had a concussion, which he slept on. When he woke up he was talking weirdly; he had developed a stutter.
He started writing his feelings on a napkin in the hospital. That was when his girlfriend encouraged him to talk about it on stage. John and I laughed so hard as he did his show. We decided to watch more of his performances on Youtube that he has done around the country. He travels to different universities, entertaining students. He's very good!
But even more than being funny, he seems to be very humble. In the intro to his audition on America's got Talent he explained that his girlfriend works 3 jobs so that he can pursue his dream of being a comedian. He also said that he used to be a jerk; that the person he was before probably never would have hung out with the person he is today. That he thought people were lucky to be able to talk to him.
In the episode, all the judges liked him and the crowd went wild and gave him standing ovations, yelling "Let him through! Let him through!" No one loved him as much as Howie Mandel. He gave a long speech about how touching Drew's story was to him and then stand up and pressed the golden buzzer that made confetti fall all around Drew. It also meant that Drew could skip all of the other auditions and go straight to the competition to win the million dollars at Radio City Music Hall. Can't wait to see him compete there on August 11th!
I've tweeted him asking when he will come to Utah, but no response yet! I hope that he wins and that everything works out for him. He seems like a great guy. I told John that I want to have a son like him. Ha!

No comments:
Post a Comment