Scotty McCreery
I've been listening to Scotty McCreery's music lately and so I'm reminded what an amazing voice he has! I remember watching him win American Idol (yes, I was rooting for him), and then soon after he won, John took me to a concert of his here in Utah. That was so fun! Check him out, he's awesome. -mid-June
Nate's Dad's Death
John and I were saddened to hear of Russ Maynes' death. We haven't gotten a chance to see the Maynes yet. We hope they are doing well, given the circumstances. We didn't know Russ well, but we knew he loved his kids and grandkids, immensely; we got to witness that love at each and every Maynes birthday party we attended. -late June
John Working a Lot
John has been working a lot lately. His manager asked him to pick up a shift last Sunday for double the pay. Of course he couldn't pass that up! But it meant that he had to work 4 twelve hour shifts this week rather than the normal 3. He's exhausted, to say the least... -late June
Inclined Walking
I've been pretty bummed this past year, after having learned I'm not allowed to run or do kickboxing classes anymore. But, lately, at the gym, I've been walking at an incline, and so therefore discovering that I can get my heart rate up just as high as I did with kickboxing or running (for obvious reasons). It's also a lot better on my body. I came home from the gym the other day and told John of this discovery and he said that he did the same thing. When you think about it- walking is a very natural thing for the human body; something that our bodies were intended for; we have two legs, we stand up straight, we must get from point A to point B, right? Walking is something the cavemen did, as well as the nomads, hunter's, gatherers, and pioneers. Walking is, for the most part, not strenuous on the human body. Running, however, is; running is unhealthy and unnatural for your knees and spine. Joints and discs are jarred and compressed by the force of the body leaving the ground and landing with each stride. This can cause pain and permanent damage... I listen to a guy on the radio as often as I can; he exquisitely relays personal stories and experiences. He recently spoke of an experience he had: His father died of heart problems at a very young age. When he, himself, was in his young 20's he really enjoyed running and so he did a lot of it. He would push and push himself, until one day, while running really hard, he suddenly heard a voice say "Stop! This isn't good for your body!" And so he stopped. From that day on, he engaged in mild to moderate exercise, exercise that was good for his body. I've also had to come to that realization and commitment since I was diagnosed with my back/ neck problems last year. Let me tell you- I'm really enjoying inclined speed walking. It gets my heart rate up to an appropriate level, but I don't feel overly-exhausted afterward. -late June
No comments:
Post a Comment