Kiss, kiss

Kiss, kiss

Monday, June 19, 2017

Roux-en-Y Surgery

Roux-en-Y

On Tuesday John had his surgery, called Roux-en-Y. It's a kind of gastric bypass surgery, similar to the kind that over weight people have done in order to lose weight. The only difference is that his stomach will remain the same size. After several days of a liquid diet he will be able to revert to his normal eating habits... I spoke to the surgeon right after the surgery; he said that John did very well during the surgery and that he should be able to be released within three days. He just has to show that his bowels are moving appropriately and that he can digest liquids adequately. I can't wait to have him home! He and I were just discussing how long this past week has been for us! It's felt like a month! I just received word that his nurses got him up, walking around. He's making progress everyday! Still waiting to get the NG tube taken out though. 3-1-17

Immediately after his surgery. When he came back to his room his face revealed he was in loads of pain. I asked for his pain level; he said 10. I told the nurse about his pain level (which, I found out later- she never asked him) and it took her 1/2 hour to get him a push of his pain medication! She was busy teaching a student nurse, I was so mad! I told the charge nurse to get the student nurse out of our room, so she could focus on John! Geez. 

This was when his pain was at its worst- right after surgery. It was so hard for me to see him like this. The allowable amount of pain medication was barely touching his pain. 

Site of the surgery. This is about how long it was. A long incision for a long torso.

This sort of describes his surgery. It's mostly correct, except that they didn't cut his stomach in half.

Him, several days after his surgery. Finally smiling!

This is the picture he texted me right after they removed the NG tube. He was soooooo happy! And so, of course, I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment