Kiss, kiss

Kiss, kiss

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Our Story- Sor Far!


Our Story- So far!


How do I fit this all into a nutshell! Here it goes- John and I met over three years ago (I don’t know exact dates because I’m not nerdy like that…Just kidding, I wish I did know the dates and I am nerdy like that) in nursing school. About halfway through the program we started a clinical rotation at a facility in Salt Lake. It was a mandatory orientation meeting and everyone in the program had to attend it in one day. My first memory of him was when he volunteered (of course) to take a ride in the hoyer lift (torn ACL, crutches and all). He was definitely cute, fun, and confident. 

Later that morning we were all crammed in a little room, standing and waiting to receive instructions. I heard a voice behind me “whisper” to a fellow classmate Aaron “Who’s that girl?” Continuing to look forward, I wondered who this person was and who he was talking about, knowing it couldn’t be me since I was very much within hearing distance.  Aaron responded “That’s Heidi.” The mystery man said “She’s cute!” still in somewhat of a whisper voice. Aaron: “Yeah, and she’s classy too!” I was laughing to myself at this point; flattered and of course curious about this guy.  BTW, later on John told me that he had no idea I could hear him! In fact he was very surprised! He thought he was being really discreet!

That afternoon we all met back at the school for a mandatory lab. Mystery Boy (who was actually not mysterious at all!) sat in the front and as I walked past him to sit by my friends towards the back, he very tactfully caught my attention and said “Hey! Come sit by me!” I was caught off guard but agreed. Who was this guy???

Needless to say, that day in lab was the best I’d ever had. We found we had similar senses of humor-he made me laugh so hard! ( I’m pretty sure John’s sense of humor matches everyone’s!) Much later John told me that he got excited when we had to choose partners and feel each other’s arms for good veins. We chose each other and it was fun for him to touch my arms. Haha!

At the lab’s conclusion, I offered to take his backpack and many heavy books to his car since he was on crutches.  At his car we said our goodbye’s and he got my number.

Shortly thereafter, he called me and we went out. He drove all the way down to Pleasant Grove and took me to a fancy restaurant in Provo. He had progressed from crutches to a cane, and the old grandpa had a hard time keeping up with me; like the time I ditched him while crossing the street.

 It was really fun. I remember the overall feeling he gave me- He was so at ease, which of course rubbed off on me. Many people have said that he has that effect on them.  He was sweet. I felt very much accepted and free to be myself. John is anything but judgmental.  

Our next date was about 10 months later (during this time we remained good friends, in fact, we were best friends)!  At this point we were done being just friends and decided to start dating. We have been together ever since!  We got engaged Sep 3rd and will be married this November!


My new last name will be "Kirschbaum" which is the German term for "cherry tree." Guess our family tree will be cherry! And my first name will match my last since "Heidi" is German. Cool!

2 comments: