Kiss, kiss

Kiss, kiss

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Dog Knapping, M-Day, Hike, Canvas Yoga, 6 Mo. Ann., Appliances, Furniture Blog, Awesome Nurse Husband

Christa told me I need to update this blog, so here I go-

May 9, 2015

This weekend has been great! We did a lot! It was a 4 day weekend for me and a three day weekend for John (Monday, both of our Monday shifts were cancelled). Friday night Christa Texted asking if they could bring Buddy over to get Doggy sat. I asked  John and he said “Yes!!!!” Then a little while later Christa said that they didn’t have time to bring him to us. John was VERY disappointed. So he insisted we kidnap him. We got there, got his leash and his food. Buddy cried when he saw John, which he loved.


  We got him in the car and sent Christa a picture that said “You can have your dog back for $1 Million!” We had fun. We could tell Buddy felt a little out of his element and confused, but he got used to us and our apartment after a while. He stayed til Sunday evening when we took him back for a Mother’s Day dinner.

Saturday rained ALL DAY!

Buddy would wrestle for like 2 seconds and then just lie down. He's a lover, not a fighter.




John and Buddy dancing. He was very confused still, at this point

 
Towards the end of the day, the rain calmed down a bit, so we went on a quick walk. This is after the Golden State Warriors lost to Memphis in one of the games of the best out of 7 series. John was pretty upset. On the walk he kept saying that he needed to not care about sports games so much. Not possible!





 
 
These pictures make it look like Buddy and Tatum got a long, but that would be a false assumption. Tatum was being very friendly, following him around but Buddy kept growling at her. Eventually Buddy showed a bit of friendliness by sniffing her behind
 
May 10, 2015
 
Sunday we went to Christa's for a Mother's Day dinner. We had Nate's yummy smoked pulled pork (reminded me of our wedding reception), but sadly Nate had to work so he wasn't there to enjoy it with us.
 




 
Walking down to the Maynes' beautiful back yard creek. Buddy is way ahead and ready to play

Jack, reaching for my hand to walk down the steps to the creek. So cute



He picked a purple flower for me. I wore it in my hair, of course.




Kelly almost a 7th grader!

They played a game of finding sticks, throwing them into the creek and Buddy fetching them. Jack loved it. He was very serious and determined about the whole thing.





John and Charity. Uncle and niece




 
We wish the Hatch's could be here. We miss them so much! 
 
May 11, 2015
 
Monday, mine and John's shifts were both cancelled. Worked out perfectly because Gordon texted John letting him know that Britney went into labor the night before and asked us to watch the dogs.
 
 
Christa gave me a bunch of old white kids' clothes to cut up and make rags for painting. Found some outfits that were just Charlie's and Lucy's size...


 
Chippendales dancer of course. This is what happens when John and I are in charge...

 
Don't worry, we make up for it later that day...
 
 
We went to Neffs Canyon Trail with the dogs. This is the same canyon we walked (with the same dogs) the day John proposed to me. We were even able to find the exact spot. It was much prettier and greener this day though. It was a beautiful, sunny day. Not too hot, not too cool. There were lots of moss and areas to cross over the river and little waterfalls. The dogs loved it!
 





 

When a sturdy foundation is irrelevant...


 
Me and Lucy
 
 
Just recently realized this day is coming up! I can't believe it! It's been 1/2 a year (almost)!! We have definitely learned a lot! About marriage in general, and each other. We are so much better at communicating than we were at the beginning. You learn a lot, living with someone, and loving them. John has been so good to me. He's so patient and so good. I'm so glad I married him! We have so much fun!
 
For about two weeks John and I couldn't find his ring ANYWHERE. We looked everywhere it could possibly be- the car, the living room dresser, the washer, his pants pockets, etc. I thought it was gone for good! But he had hope! He knew it had to be around the apartment somewhere. I wanted to just buy him a new one (cause I don't like him not wearing it), but he knew it had to be in the apartment somewhere. So a couple weeks went by. This weekend I was doing some laundry and noticed something in the space between the two rubber flaps around the washer door. I had no idea what it was (I wasn't thinking about it being his ring, cause I thought it was long gone), but picked it up any way. A miracle! There it was! I said "Ohhhh John!" He thought that he was in trouble for shrinking an item of my clothing! He was very happy when he saw what it was I found. Then the next day he lost it again! He immediately went to the washer and there it was. Someone needs to clean out his pants pockets before doing laundry! Ha!

This was so funny- The other night John and I were doing yoga in the living room via Youtube (what a trooper, right?). At one point the instructor did a stretch that required yoga blocks (about the size of cinder blocks). Since we didn't have any I improvised and selfishly assumed John would take it upon himself to do the same. So I rested my elbows on one of the boxes (about cinder block size) we had sitting around from packing, and proceeded to do the back stretch.

I looked over at John. He was very confused, and looking around frantically. He was surprisingly pretty serious about it. He said something to the effect of "Oh, I'm glad you've got something, but what am I going to use?" (and somewhat sarcastically, too, I might add). As if I'm entirely responsible for his yoga success that night. Haha! Then before I could suggest anything, he grabbed a couple of canvas pictures I had lying around. These are each about 1/2 inch thick and super flimsy. And they are for decoration. I made them for him a couple years ago. Very seriously, he put his elbows on them to start to do the stretch, but I stopped him. It was so funny! I was laughing so hard! When he realized how funny it was he was laughing pretty hard too.  I said "John, if you were in a sinking boat and you had the option of grabbing a frying pan or a life jacket, what would it be?" Hahahaha!

May 11, 2015

Our friends, Britney and Gordon, had a beautiful baby girl. We are so happy for them! Can't wait to babysit.

May 18, 2015


Had to snap a pic of this. It's a self portrait drawn by one of this kids is a patient's school class. Love the teeth.


 
My first Annie Sloan painting project. Look- indoors! No fumes! Hard to believe this was only 3 coats with no sanding or priming. John loved the final product. Now I just need to get spray paint to paint the little handle

One of our favorite restaurants in Sugarhouse- Tsunami. I personally don't like looking at pictures of fish in the ocean while I'm eating them. Just a preference.

I went to make John lunch the other morning before he left for work and found these two little love birds waking up at the bottom of his lunch bag. He loves sour patch kids. And apparently they love each other. Maybe I should close the lid and give them some more alone time...
 
May 21, 2015
 
It was our 6 month Anniversary on Thursday! Yay! John brought me home some beautiful red roses (red means love, so I think someone has a little crush...) He told me he did a search in google for the best flowers in Salt Lake and found this place (a lady doing her business out of her house) and went there to purchase.

Went to Brio to celebrate but made sure we were back in time for the Warriors/Rockets game.


I think the waitress was as disappointed as I was that they didn't serve French Onion Soup

May 22, 2015
 
Friday, after a dull, yet successful trip to the IRS we treated ourselves to John's favorite pastry called Kouing Aman at a place called Les Medeleines. So so good! We have always wanted to spread the word, but it's so hard to remember the name of the bakery and the pastry! I've got written down now, though, so we are good.
 
May 25, 2015
 
We took the opportunity today, Memorial Day, to hit the appliance sales at Sears. We were there for about 2 hours! We chose a fridge (stainless steel Samsung) and then a Samsung washer and dryer (top loading washer, of course). I love all three of them. We are especially excited about the fridge. We got about $1,000 off of the original price. It's really big and really nice. I've never owned a fridge/washer/dryer before! Let alone nice ones! It was a necessity though,  so we felt good about buying them.
 
Then we watched the 4th game between Warriors and Rockets. It was disappointing. Steph Curry did a barrel roll off of an opposing player's back and got some contusions on his head. He was out for half of the game. When he started playing again, he wasn't himself. They lost by about 15 points. But they  only have to win one more game against the Rockets to move on. Neither John nor I like Harden, but he was making pretty much every 3 pointer he shot. Lucky.


 
Finished my first project! I started a blog so you can follow all of my future restoration projects and get some pointers on Annie Sloan paint. It's www.themintgarnet.blogspot.com
 
May 26, 2015
 
I have to brag about my husband because he’s not going to… I just remembered the other day that this happened! About 2.5 years ago he and I had a mutual patient, BA, that we cared for during his school class.  He had frequent seizures which caused him to stop breathing. Within seconds of his seizure we were to insert his diastat, rectally. Each dose was individually stored in a syringe- like dispenser, about 40 ml in volume. His “go bag” had a larg container that held about 6 of these syringes. BA required a private nurse because if the Diastat was not given within seconds of his seizure, he would lose consciousness and die, all within a matter of minutes.

John and I described his condition as a ticking time bomb. In training, we were told that, on average, he seized 4-5 times per week.

At one of John’s first shifts with this patient, he became very curious about this specific medication and its dispenser. He wanted to familiarize himself with it so he removed one from its plastic container, took the lid off, and proceeded to push up the bottom of the syringe to get a feel for its level of resistance, i.e. how viscous the liquid was.

To his surprise there was zero resistance and as he continued to push, the liquid never appeared. He pushed out the entire syringe up and there was only air, no medication! He was stunned! He grabbed another one of the emergency syringes and pushed it up. Again, there was no liquid! No emergency medication! He tested all six in the container. Not one of the syringes contained any diastat!

He immediately contacted BA’s parents. They tested their own Diastat syringes at home. Those were empty too! Needless to say, they were livid. They contacted the pharmacy and found that BA wasn’t the only patient affected by this negligence. Come to find out, this was in fact more than just negligence brought on by the pharmacist and technician. The medication that was supposed to be inserted into the syringes was taken and used for private use by one of the workers. I’m assuming and hoping that this pharmacy was punished and corrected by the appropriate authorities. Needless to say, BA’s parents purchased their pharmaceuticals elsewhere from that point on.

I was so proud of John when he told me this! I never would have thought to test the syringes at the beginning of the shift. Had he not, and the patient seized, the medication would have been unavailable. Not only that- John wouldn’t have known the patient wasn’t getting the medication, because it’s administered, rectally.  John saved this kids life a bunch of times, because so many of their syringes were empty- at school and at home! He’s an awesome nurse!!
 

2 comments:

  1. That's hilarious! Thank you for updating :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I saw the Buddy pictures the first time I saw this! I need to remember to show Charity. Very cute. You guys were so nice to take him in. I love the pics down by our creek too.. very fun.

    ReplyDelete