This was a beautiful rain storm. The picture doesn't do the view justice! It was pouring!
I dared John to jump on the trampoline out in the storm for 5 minutes for $50 (regardless of the fact that we share money). He agreed! I got some video of it. He did some toe touches and back somersaults. Very entertaining.
Cute, but annoying snails in the backyard. Emily came over for produce and she showed me what all of these plants were.
Lagoon
John and I found a day that both of us had off and made the trip to Lagoon! Unfortunately the day was a Friday, and while it was technically a weekday, it was still VERY busy! So, we will never go on a Friday ever again!
John was finally able to go on the Cannibal ride, which he has been really excited for! The line was about 1.5 hours long though. I had pretty much talked myself into going on the ride once we got to the front, since I had waited so long. Just as we were about to sit down on the ride, I chickened out! John really enjoyed it though. Afterwards he told me I probably made a good decision because the beginning part was pretty freaky.
After we had waited in the Cannibal ride line for so long, John said that I could choose the next rides. One of them was Cliffhanger. He got soaked and I barely got wet at all! He was not pleased, to say the least!
When we went on the Swings John told me about one time his uncle, Roger, was standing by the Swings and before he could be warned, a little kid on the ride peed and sprayed a bunch of people standing by, including Roger!
John did the Catapult again! This time without Steve (Steve definitely makes it more entertaining!). He seriously has no fear! He loves the thrill. He told me that when he went to Lagoon with the Brockbanks several years ago, Leda went on the Catapult. I couldn't believe it! I could never do it!
Making sure he's all tucked in and secure.
At least he's into "safe" thrill seeking! I'm glad he's not a base jumper or bull rider or something like that!
Accessing his Chi
The camera in the ball wasn't working so I didn't get to watch his facial expression.
Everyone was watching! The Cannibal ride was twice as long as it was when we were in it, at this point.
Great picture of the sunset that John took. We've been having fun jumping on the Birdsley's tramp. I've been teaching him how to do a toe touch with pointed toes.
Bountiful Rec
This was our end of summer bash that Mom and Simon organized. It was lots of fun! At the Bountiful Rec Center. We started out the evening in the splash pad, discussing and debating the oh so popular abortion/Planned Parenthood issue (just the adults of course). Then Jack walked through some water fountains! He was very proud and John said he would only do it if people were watching. He's quite the little entertainer.
We went into the indoor swimming pool. I jumped off the high dive! John was very proud! And John ended up doing a front and back flip off of the diving board. It was his very first time and he did it perfectly! Mom even jumped off. Then John showed everyone a couple laps of his butterfly stroke. They were very impressed. He's so good at it! And he makes a really mean swimmer face while he's doing it, which makes it even cooler. Then we went into the lazy river area. John played basketball with the boys, I went on the lazy river with Erika, Cindy and Emily. Erika showed me everything she had learned in swimming lessons. Then we went down their cool twisty slide.
Bear Lake
We went to John's grandparents' cabin. It was a blast! Except for the fact that the smoke was really bad from all the fires that have been going on in Idaho and Colorado. It got so bad that I couldn't go outside without getting a major headache.
Cute sign.
It took us about an hour to get this puppy blown up. John carried the box of it all the way from the car to the beach. It was HEAVY!
Then John figured out how to assemble the oars.
And then we inflated it (not with our lungs, thank goodness) with a manual pump. John was very disappointed to learn it was a manual pump. We were about half way through the inflation process when the pump "broke." We tinkered with it for a while. Then John took it apart all of the way and adjusted the rubber ring thingy (yes, we did follow the instructions. No, "thingy" is not the official name of that part). He put it back together and it started blowing out air again! Yay! I was so glad! He said "I didn't think that in a million years I would ever be able to fix that thing!" Well, you did, John!
Putting it together was a good experience for us. It was kind of symbolic of how a relationship, in general works. There was some complaining and pouting. We had to motivate each other at some points. We had to put our heads together and really brainstorm the source of the pump's issues. We took turns reading the instructions and interpreting them and explaining them to each other.We took turns pumping up the raft. We noticed when the other person got too tired to pump and offered to take over.
We got it all filled and then took her out on the lake. We were so relaxed we didn't realize we had drifted pretty far off. And the wind was so bad, we reached a point for a while, where it didn't matter how hard we rowed, we weren't able to move. It was especially hard for me because my arms are smaller and weaker. And if one side works harder than the other, the boat just goes in circles. Somewhat symbolic of working together in a relationship in that both people have to be working at it, otherwise you get no where.
We were probably out there for over an hour. When we realized we were in trouble, we had to row at all times in order to simply stay in one place! When we noticed that the wind would die down, we rowed extra hard. Thankfully, we made it back to shore (just not to our spot). John got out and pulled the boat as he walked in the shallow area (I was exhausted!). And we made it back!
This part reminded me of some marital advice I once heard of. Years back I heard a quote "marriage is a 2 way street and the responsibilities must always be evenly divided 50/50". Then I heard Dr. Phil challenge that and say "No! Each partner must give 100% all the time!" Then when I was in nursing school I heard someone say that it's impossible for any one to give 100% all the time. It's not even possible to give 50% at all times. Sometimes we give 20% and sometimes we give 80 or 90%. We are human and occasionally we need our partner to pick up our slack, simply because we are not strong enough for the time being. We help each other In our times of need. So, overall, the effort is 100%, but the times that we can't give 50%, our partner gives a little bit more and vice versa. Dr. Phil, 100% each, is not mathematically possible; don't try to overwhelm people!
Overall, the boat was awesome! So glad I did the research and spent the money on this particular boat. John kept saying "We're boat people! We are the 1%!" Ha ha! It's fun to be adults and have toys.
John said La Beau's is the best shake place. He used to go to Bear Lake every summer at that cabin, as a kid, with his family and cousins. The line was long when we got in it, but it moved way fast.
The raspberry shakes were awesome, of course. I had a few bites, but it's hard for me to eat milkshakes without having stomach issues.
Look how cute his wedding ring is.
I ordered the banana cream pie shake, and I have to say that I loved it more than the raspberry. John loved it too. I've been craving it ever since.
I loved this building. It had so much character. It's old, but not crappy old. It was cute old.
Be aware, ladies, he's not as EZ as his shirt says he is. Ha!
At Zipz, the customers got to eat in boats. Pretty cool.
I could have gotten much prettier pictures if there wasn't so much smoke!
If you look really closely, there is this cute black cat sitting on that box to the left. All the cats at this store scrambled when they saw me but this cat just sat there. Like he knew he was camoflauge, so he wasn't worried. Those are boat motors on the fence.
The beautiful cabin
Lots of memories here, for John.
This says "Bev and Jim". Cute.
View from back
Beverly had lots of cute quotes up in the cabin.
There were lots of pictures of all of them at bear Lake displayed at the cabin. This is the pool at the resort they have access to. We went to that as well.
The water was soooo blue. It was fun watching the sailors get out on the water or try to get out on to the water. The second day was so windy, there was this one guy that got about 5 feet out into the water in his kayak and just tipped right over. We spent most of the time on the second day, playing paddle ball on the shore and in the hot tub. It was actually pretty fun!
John told me one year they went to bear Lake and he and his cousin Tyler took a jet ski far out, and they ended up getting stranded. A sailor had to bring them back in to shore. It's so fun learning about all of John's memories there. We actually ended up seeing Christy and Tyler at the resort pool. We were worried that they needed to stay at the cabin, but we found out that Christy's family has a cabin up there too and that they were using that one. It was so good to see them and their cute kids Tread and Chavel.
It was so good to get away, even though it was only for one night! Glad we could get the time off work and that the cabin was made available to us!
Church
On Sunday, John had to work and I went to church. I recently received a church calling to be a primary teacher. So on Sunday, I just observed and got to know the girls in my class. John is going to help me with the calling a little bit, since we wanted to be co-teachers. John and I got a combined visiting teaching/home teacher calling. There is a family in our ward who has a girl with Kabuki Syndrome. She has a g-tube and may be getting a trach. Her condition is similar to the kids' we care for at work, so we were somewhat of a perfect fit. They're such a sweet family, so grateful and fun. And the little girl is just so darling! We have fun taking care of her when the parents need us to.
You guys make me smile. You guys are so good together and have so much fun!
ReplyDelete